In this BRB jobs update, I’m pleased to highlight an open role at Williams & Connolly: “Conflicts Attorney” —
- Williams & Connolly LLP and its Office of General Counsel has an immediate opening for a full-time Conflicts Attorney.
- This non-practicing attorney works across several key functional areas at the firm, including new business conflicts and intake processes, resolution of conflict-related issues for lateral attorney and professional staff candidates, conflict waiver drafting, review, negotiation and maintenance of client agreements, coordination of ethical screening and litigation holds, and supervision of the firm’s client files processes and procedures.
- Guide the conflicts staff with addressing conflict search findings and issues encountered on new business intake requests, such as providing research on corporate affiliations, and making determinations based on conflicts information presented;
- Analyze potential conflicts issues, including for new case matters and hiring of new legal professionals; initiate discussions with attorneys, the Professional Responsibility and Risk Management Counsel and General Counsel when necessary; provide recommendations for resolution and ensure clear documentation of resolutions; draft and review conflict waiver requests and perform necessary follow-up for conflict resolution;
- Assist attorneys with proposed engagement letters and outside counsel guidelines, etc. to ensure that agreements align with firm policies;
- Manage the ethical wall process, including identification of individuals to be screened from clients and matters, implementation of ethical walls, and periodic reviews to determine the need for ongoing or updated restrictions;
- Evaluate and support the implementation of compliance procedures including technical upgrades and new technologies;
- Work with internal departments to organize and document client files, including receiving and filing engagement letters, ensuring engagement terms are properly input and tracked in our systems; and overseeing the electronic and paper document archiving process, including notification, collection, and disposition of client files;
- Monitor changes to the ethical standards governing the legal profession, including by maintaining up-to-date knowledge of the Rules of Professional Conduct of both the District of Columbia and the American Bar Association, and evaluate firm policy for compliance;
- Work with Risk Management Counsel and/or General Counsel on requests related to privacy laws; and
- Work on special projects as requested by the Professional Responsibility and Risk Management Counsel and General Counsel.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) is required. License to practice law in the United States is required;
- Minimum five (5) years of experience practicing law or experience in a similar conflicts, professional liability or compliance role in a large law firm setting strongly preferred.
- This position has a hybrid work schedule with a minimum of two days per week in the office.
See the complete job posting for more detail on job and to apply for this position.
Learn more about working at Williams and Connolly on their careers page:
- “The firm offers competitive compensation, outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities with the sincere anticipation that Williams & Connolly will be a place for our staff to enjoy a challenging career for many years to come.”
- “Washingtonian magazine again selected the firm as one of the Washington D.C. area’s 50 “Great Places to Work.” Our interesting cases, opportunity to work with the most talented lawyers in the world, team spirit, excellent professional rewards, and other notable perks landed us among the featured companies.”
And if you’re interested in seeing your firm’s listings here, please feel free to reach out…