(I just learned that the ABA Center for Professional Responsibility recently honored him with Michael Franck Award for his work in the field of ethics and professional responsibility throughout his career.)
- “A group of seven of us, ethics lawyers from across the country, have developed this proposal for the ABA to launch a once-in-a-generation review of the mechanics, structure, and reach of lawyer regulation – the infrastructure of lawyer regulation, rather than the substance of ethics rules.”
- “We want a group of experienced ethics regulators and professionals to be appointed to do this work. The article lays out the scope of the work we think needs to be done.”
- “We would also propose that this group steer clear of reviewing or considering changes to substantive ethics rule, including nonlawyer ownership and fee-sharing. Important as those issues are, those are NOT the issues we’re looking to have reviewed.”
Other contributors to this piece include:
- Mark Armitage, Michigan Attorney Discipline Board
- Lydia Lawless, State of Maryland
- Ronald Minkoff, Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz
- Sari W. Montgomery, Robinson, Stewart, Montgomery & Doppke LLC
- Wendy Muchman, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- Lynda Shely, The Shely Firm, PC
Also writing in this week is Leigh Isaacs, Sr Director Info Governance at DLA Piper, with a few IG resources to share. She says:
- “I wanted to reach out and make you aware of a legal IG roundtable I formed several years ago and host on a monthly basis. The group has grown from a handful of people and firms to over 170 participants representing approximately 100 different firms. I facilitate but the discussion is peer led.”
- “It’s only open to practitioners – no vendors or consultants as we want to promote an open and ‘safe’ space to share and ask questions about anything.”
- “There have been many who have said they get great benefit from it, even if only to have an hour of “IG therapy” once a month.”
- Folks interested in joining this community can contact Leigh directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For those interested in learning more, she also pointed me at a recent interview she did with Jim Merrifield (Director of Information Governance & Business Intake at Robinson & Cole LLP) on his Infogov Hot Seat interview series: “IGHS4 – Interview with Leigh Isaacs, DLA Piper & Creator of the Legal Roundtable” —
- “This episode features Leigh Isaacs, Senior Director of Information Governance at DLA Piper & creator of the Legal Roundtable. Tune in to hear her answers to these 5 burning questions:
- When did you start the Legal Roundtable and what made you do so?
- What kind of topics does this group discuss?
- How often do you meet?
- Who can join? And how to join if interested?
- How do you see the group itself evolving in the coming years?”