Our latest sponsored risk job listing comes from Wiley. The firm is looking for a: “Risk and Compliance Attorney” —
- Wiley, a leading DC law firm, is seeking a Risk and Compliance Attorney to join the Risk Management Department. This role supports the department’s leadership with managing the overall integrity and quality of the firm’s potential new business process, lateral hiring procedures, legal matter milestones, and firmwide loss prevention strategies.
- The Risk and Compliance Attorney is responsible for conducting research and providing analysis and implementation steps relating to the firm’s ethical responsibilities in accordance with applicable rules of professional conduct, recommended professional liability practices, and firm policies.This non-practicing attorney position reports to the Director of Risk Management and works across several key functional areas. These include, but are not limited to, the new business intake process, lateral hire questionnaires and conflict assessments reviews, resolution of conflict related issues for lateral attorney and professional staff candidates, conflict waiver drafting and follow-up, review and negotiation of client agreements, coordination of ethical screening, issuance and management of litigation holds, and compliance with firm policies and objectives in these areas.
RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Provide guidance to attorneys and staff regarding interpretation of potential conflicts of interest and jurisdictional rules and regulations
- Guide the new business intake and conflicts staff with handling issues and other complexities encountered on new business intake requests and navigating conflict search findings, such as evaluating whether adversities to particular corporate entities present conflicts, providing research on corporate affiliations, and making determinations based on information presented
- Identify and analyze potential conflicts issues; initiate discussions with attorneys, Risk Management team and General Counsel when necessary; provide recommendations for resolution and ensure clear documentation of resolutions for Risk Management team members; draft and review conflict waiver requests and perform necessary follow up for conflict resolution
- Manage the ethical wall process, including identification of individuals to be screened from clients and matters, creation of ethical wall memoranda, implementation of ethical walls, and periodic reviews to determine the need for ongoing or updated restrictions
- Evaluate and support the implementation of compliance procedures including technical upgrades and new technologies for new business intake and other ethics and compliance related activities
- Review and provide advice and guidance related to client-tendered requirements and agreements, including proposed engagement letters, outside counsel guidelines, etc. and work with firm attorneys to prepare responses that align with recommendations and firm policies
- Supervise the review of professional staff and lateral attorney candidate conflicts assessments and questionnaires and all search results prepared by the conflicts team
- Identify and analyze potential conflicts of interest regarding professional staff and lateral attorney candidates including specialized conflict rules applicable to former government employees; implement all necessary screening; evaluate any applicable rules of the government agency
- Assist with attorney orientation presentations, training and integration related questions pertaining to conflicts, ethics and professional responsibility
- Engage in performing legal research on ethical obligations and professional liability issues
- Work on special projects and support new initiatives as requested by the Director of Risk Management, General Counsel, or Chief Financial Officer
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the District of Columbia Rules of Professional Conduct and American Bar Association Model Rules of Professional
- Conduct, monitor jurisdictional rules for changes, and evaluate firm policy for compliance
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) is required. License to practice law in the United States required.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience practicing law or experience in a similar conflicts, professional liability or compliance role in a large law firm setting strongly preferred
For additional detail:
You can read more and apply by visiting their job posting here.
You can read more about the firm on their careers page.
And if you’re interested in seeing your firm’s listings here (and reading some kind BRB job board endorsements), please feel free to reach out!